The Terracotta Irrigation Controller for Latching Solenoids is suitable for automatic sprinkler irrigation or drip irrigation, and can be installed either above ground or in ground. The Terracotta Irrigation Controller includes a valve that operates with water supply pressure in the range 10 kPa to 800 kPa. The interval between irrigation events responds automatically to the on-site prevailing weather conditions (namely, evaporation and rainfall).
For in ground installation, the interval between irrigation events also responds automatically to the transpiration requirements of your plant at their current stage of growth.
All the power required is provided by a small 9 volt battery inside the control box.
Terracotta is porous and so the water level in the pot falls as water seeps through the pot. A float inside the pot floats on the water. When the water level reaches the low level, a magnet inside the float activates the valve so that the valve opens and the irrigation starts. During the irrigation event a control dripper drips water into the pot and the water level rises. When the water level reaches the high level, the magnet inside the float disengages from the valve so that the valve closes and the irrigation stops.
During an irrigation event, the control dripper replaces water that has evaporated since the previous irrigation event. This volume is called the control volume. The Terrcotta Irrigation Controller for Latching Solenoids has a control volume between 77 ml and 333 ml.
Key features of the Terracotta Irrigation Controller for Latching Solenoids:
- Use for any size irrigation application with any size latching solenoid valve
- The power supply is a small 9 volt battery inside the control box
- Water supply pressure 10 kPa to 800 kPa
- Use for sprinkler irrigation or drip irrigation
- Use for gravity feed or pressurised irrigation
- Use with PC (pressure compensating) drippers or NPC (non pressure compensating) drippers
- Adjust the water usage rate by adjusting the control dripper
- Adjust the interval between irrigation events by adjusting the float
- Adjusting the water usage rate does not affect the interval between irrigation events, and adjusting the interval between irrigation events does not affect the water usage rate
- Responds automatically to on-site evaporation and rainfall
- The irrigation frequency increases significantly during a heat wave
- Install above ground or in ground
- For in ground installation the controller responds automatically to plant transpiration
- Provided the same drippers are used throughout the irrigation application (including the control dripper), the water usage rate is independent of the water supply pressure
- Irrigate directly from a rainwater tank without using a pump
- Water in the terracotta pot is protected from algae, mosquitoes and thirsty animals
- Simple and low tech, and therefore fewer things can go wrong
- Leave your irrigation application unattended for months on end