The Terracotta Irrigation Controller can be used to control non-latching solenoid valves only. It can be used for automatic sprinkler irrigation or drip irrigation. The Terracotta Irrigation Controller has a valve that operates with water supply pressure in the range 10 kPa to 800 kPa. The interval between irrigation events responds automatically to the on-site prevailing weather conditions (namely, evaporation and rainfall).
Terracotta is porous and so the water level in the pot falls as water seeps through the pot. A float inside the pot floats on the water. When the water level reaches the low level, a magnet inside the float activates the valve so that the valve opens and water level in the vertical tube rises and closes a float switch and the irrigation starts. During the irrigation event a control dripper drips water into the pot and the water level in the pot rises. When the water level reaches the high level, the magnet inside the float disengages from the valve so that the valve closes and water drains from the vertical tube until the float switch opens and the irrigation stops.
During an irrigation event, the control dripper replaces water that has evaporated since the previous irrigation event. This volume is called the control volume. Without the booster, the control volume can set to any value between 110 ml and 385 ml. By connecting the terracotta pot to the booster, the control volume can be set to any value between between 1000 ml and 1825 ml.
- Use for any size irrigation application with any size non-latching solenoid valve
- Water supply pressure 10 kPa to 800 kPa
- Use for sprinkler irrigation or drip irrigation
- Use for gravity feed or pressurised irrigation
- Use with PC (pressure compensating) drippers or NPC (non pressure compensating) drippers
- Adjust the water usage rate by adjusting the control dripper
- Adjust the interval between irrigation events by adjusting the float
- Responds automatically to on-site evaporation and rainfall
- The irrigation frequency increases significantly during a heat wave
- The booster allows the control volume to be set to any value between 1000 and 1825 mls
- If the adjustable control dripper is replaced by one of the irrigation drippers, then each dripper in the irrigation application will deliver the control volume during the irrigation event
- If the adjustable control dripper is replaced by two of the irrigation drippers, then each dripper in the irrigation application will deliver half the control volume during the irrigation event
- The polyester cloth allows the interval between irrigation events to be adjusted by adjusting the exposed surface area of the polyester cloth
- Provided the same drippers are used throughout the irrigation application (including the control dripper), the water usage rate is independent of the water supply pressure
- Irrigate directly from a rainwater tank without using a pump
- Water in the terracotta pot and the booster are protected from debris, algae, mosquitoes and thirsty animals
- A light sensor provides the option of irrigating at night time only
- Uses much less water without affecting the yield
- Simple and low tech, and therefore fewer things can go wrong
- Leave your irrigation application unattended for months on end